Monday, February 2, 2009

Water Rationing


Well, here in Northern California, water rationing is right around the corner. We have had several dry years in a row and this year is looking to be dry as well. We had maybe 1 or 2 storms in January and nothing for several weeks. Later this week we are expecting a bit of rain, but I'll believe it when I see it. So, the idea of water rationing sets up a bit of a dispute in my house. You see, I was raised in Arizona and Southern California, so I was raised to think about limiting water use. My husband was raised in Portland, Oregon, land of rain and rivers. So, we don't always see eye to eye on the importance of using water wisely. Case in point: We have a toilet that has run almost constantly since we moved in 5 1/2 years ago. This drives me nuts. I can practically see the money going down the toilet. My husband hardly notices it. Another example: When we moved in, there was a low flow shower head in the master bathroom. The first week, he replaced it with a regular shower head. So, getting ready for water rationing should be fairly easy to figure out in our house, once my husband realizes that we have to do this.

1. Buy a new toilet, you know, one that doesn't run constantly.

2. Install low flow shower heads on both showers.

3. Fix leaky spigot outside.

4. Put cover on pool in slow down evaporation.

5. Turn water on lower when brushing teeth and washing dishes.


This is my initial plan. Anyone have other ideas? I will gladly try to get them past my husband.

No comments: