Saturday, February 7, 2009

Fresh Air!

I remember growing up in Southern California in the late 70's and early 80's, when many days you could see the air. Although I don't have asthma or any other lung issues, I remember that on really smoggy days it hurt to take deep breaths. We even had days at school when we couldn't play outside because the air was so bad. Of course, California now has strict laws about emissions and the gasoline was reformulated to cut down on air pollution. In my 7 year of teaching in Southern California in the 90's, I never once had to keep kids inside because of air pollution. So, we can now breathe easy and not worry about air pollution, right. Well, actually, no. While outdoor air pollution has improved, indoor air pollution has gotten worse. Yes, indoor air pollution. The EPA says that in the average home, levels of organic pollutants are 2 to 5 times higher that outdoors. Most of us spend a good part of our time indoors. What can we do to protect ourselves and our families? One thing is to switch your cleaning supplies to nontoxic alternatives. Don't know where to get them? Click here to find some great nontoxic cleaning supplies that work really well and won't pollute your home. Here's a simple thing you can do-open your windows. When weather allows, open up your house and let the bad air out and the good air in. What about the times that you can't do that because of the weather? Get an air purifier. Here is the one I use in my home. It has made our indoor air fresher and cleaner and now I wouldn't be without it. If you don't have an air purifier in your home, then you are the air purifier.
I hope you can take a few steps to clean up the air in your home so you can breathe easier.

No comments: