Friday, February 27, 2009

Be a Label Reader

I want to encourage you all to be label readers. For food, well yes, but that's not what I mean. You should be a label reader with your cleaning products. Yes, really. Have you ever done that? I read the labels on some of the cleaning products in my house. Here's what I found:

Sanitizing Wipes "Hazards to Humans and Domestic Animals" and "Wash hands after use"

Tile Cleaner "Causes substantial but temporary eye injury and can irritate skin" , "Do not get in eyes or clothing" and "If on skin or clothing: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes."

Automatic Dishwasher Detergent "May cause burns to skin and eyes. Harmful if swallowed"

Liquid Lemon Oil Furniture Polish "Harmful or Fatal if Swallowed. Keep out of reach of Children."

Now, I have been using safe, green, nontoxic cleaners for almost 2 years. But, I still have not gotten rid of some of my old cleaners. But, if you still use these grocery store cleaners, make sure you read the labels. Make sure you have a good supply of rubber gloves and breathing masks. Make sure you have adequate ventilation. And, don't clean while your kids are around. It just seems too dangerous. Or, you could do what I did and switch to safe alternatives. Then we can take all those other cleaners to the toxic waste section of our local dump.

No comments: