Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gas Prices



Well, today it officially happened. Gas prices went over $4.00 a gallon. Actually, it went from $3.99 yesterday to $4.07 today. Yikes! There is on station I keep my eye on to gauge the prices. Its on the high side for Napa. It right on the highway. I buy my gas at a station off the beaten path that is always about 7 or 8 cents cheaper. That station is probably close, it not over the $4.oo mark. There's just something about paying that much for gas. Now $3.99, that's bad, but $4.oo, that's terrible. So, I will dedicate the remainder of this post to ways to save gas.


-My brother, Seth, owns a Prius. He loves it and he gets great gas mileage. Alas, we don't. But, if you are in the market for a new car, consider a hybrid.


-Check your tire pressure. Ever ride a bike with a low tire? Its hard work. It's the same with your car.


-Drive the speed limit. Traveling at 55 mph give you up to 21% better mileage when compared to speed limits of 65 mph and 70 mph.


-On longer trips, use cruise control if you have it.


-Remove excess weight from your car. Do you really need that case of water in your trunk?


-Combine trips. Have a lot of errands to run? Plan to do them in one trip instead of lots of little trips.


-Cruising. This is my own word for it. I have started to take my foot off of the gas pedal when approaching stops long before I used to. I am surprised with how far my car will go without using extra gas. Didn't Newton make a law about that? I have found areas around town with slight hills where this works very well. Just make sure your parking brake is not on, I say from personal experience.


-Ride a bike or walk. Matthew and I will occasionally ride our bikes to school. It takes us about 20 minutes, so we have to plan ahead, but its a nice ride.


These are just a few ideas. I know there are many more. Anyone have a great idea to share?

1 comment:

Pastor Seth said...

I just spent $4.12 per gallon at the "cheap" gas station today! I shelled out a total of $71 to fill up the van!! That sucked!! The girls and I have been walking to the store. Next time I think we are going to take the wagon so we can get more home. I feel that if I take the wagon, I need to take the girls. It just doesn't look right for me to go with the wagon without the girls. Oh yeah, we will be taking our canvas bags with us as well.