Monday, February 8, 2010

Artificial What in My Child's Vitamins?

I have written before about being a label reader when it comes to cleaners. Many of us read the label on our food. Have you ever read the label on your kid’s vitamins? I switched almost a year ago to a kid’s vitamin that I like for lots of reasons. The other day, I took out my old grocery store vitamins my son used to take and read the label. I was expecting to see artificial sweeteners. Here’s what I was not expecting: Blue 2 Lake, Red 40 Lake, and Yellow 6 Lake. What? I did some looking into this. Here’s what I found. In 2008, the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) petitioned the Food and Drug Administration to ban many food dyes from being used, something already being done in the UK. In fact, many food companies are already selling food in the UK that contain no artificial colors. The British versions of Starburst Chews, Skittles, and M&M candies contain the full spectrum of artificial colors in the U.S., but not in the U.K., where the company uses natural colorings. In Britain, the color in McDonald's strawberry sauce for sundaes actually comes from strawberries; in the U.S. it comes from Red 40.
So, why is this important? Synthetic food dyes have been suspected of disrupting children's behavior since the 1970s, when Dr. Ben Feingold, a San Francisco allergist, reported that his patients improved when their diets were changed. Numerous controlled studies conducted over the next three decades in the United States, Europe, and Australia proved that some children’s behavior is worsened by artificial dyes.
Aside from the fact that many foods contain artificial colors, why would you want them in the vitamins we give our kids, supposedly to improve their health?
After all of this, it is good to know that the vitamins I have been giving my son for almost a year have no artificial colors. They are colored with vegetable juice, such as beet juice concentrate and red cabbage extract, annatto and turmeric extract. No mysterious names including numbers. No worries of possible chemical side effects. One less thing to worry about.

Here is a link to the vitamins my son takes.

No comments: